Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Monday, January 26th, 2009

Did my parents tell you how smart I am? If not, I proved to them again that I am a force to be reckoned with. Deborah and Wendy came out from Alta Regional to so a speech assessment on me. It really just involved them playing with me, asking me questions and watching how I was using sign to communicate. Deborah felt that until I start allowing my speaking valve to stay on for longer periods of time it wasn't going to be really helpful to start structured speech therapy visits. Actually, Deborah said that I am on a 22-24 month old level of communciation with my sign language so as far as communication goes I am pretty advanced! Deborah and Wendy said I am a real smartie pants!

At the end of the session, Deborah sang "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" while also signing. I kept signing "again" so she would repeat the song. After a few times, Deborah needed to leave. I signed to Mommy that I wanted to get down off her lap and I walked over to my Fisher Price Learning House. On the top is a round wheel that has a sun and a moon. When it is turned to the moon it plays the "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" song without any words. I reached up, turned the wheel until it got to the moon and the song started up. Mommy, Deborah, Wendy and Lucille all seemed shocked for a moment. Mommy wondered if it was just a coincidence that I recognized that what Deborah sang and what my house played were the same song so she tested me. A few hours later, she began singing "Itsy Bitsy Spider". Sure enough, I walked over to my Learning House and pressed the button on the water spout until "Itsy Bitsy Spider" came on. Pretty smart huh!

Peyton Nicole Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment