Thursday, August 7, 2008

Thursday, August 7th, 2008





Today was another adventure in eating for me. Karen, my feeding therapist came today and was very impressed with my progress. She watched me eat frozen mango in my feeding bag. When Mommy told her how much I like to eat - and how frustrated I get when Mommy doesn't share food off her plate - she had some suggestions. Karen said I can now start getting "swipes" of food from my parents plates - spaghetti sauce, chili, soup, mashed potatoes, etc.

We also tried a few new things today. Karen mashed up some Gerber "puffs" (kind of like flavored Cheerios) until it was like fine breadcrumbs. Then, I got to play with it with my hands and then Mommy fed me some on a spoon. Right into my mouth - no feeding bag or anything! I did very well! Since I am not taking to the pigeon bottle, Karen says our next step is to move on to drinking through a straw. First, she wants my parents to introduce the straw to me with just something on it I can lick off. Over time, my parents will allow some liquid to drain into my mouth through the straw using gravity and then eventually I will learn to suck through the straw myself - at least that is the plan!

Mommy was very excited so after Lucille left this afternoon, she got out my high chair and let me have some fun. (Thanks Grandma and Papa Smith - I know it has been a long time coming but I am finally using the high chair!) Mommy put some applesauce on my tray so I could play with it with my fingers. She also put some more of the crushed up puffs on the tray. I put some in my mouth with my fingers, but Mommy also helped me put some in my mouth with the spoon. Although it was just tiny amounts, for the first time I think Mommy felt like she was really feeding me - and I was eating! Mommy's head is spinning with all the food possibilities she wants to try with me. She is very hopeful that when I am given a cupcake on my birthday in a few weeks - I might actually try to eat it!

Peyton Nicole Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment