Friday, August 29, 2008

Thursday, August 28th, 2008

Everyone woke up bright and early this morning in anticipation of my discharge home from the hospital. First, Jackson had to get his bath and Mommy helped Aunt Kristin keep him entertained. Then, it was off to the hospital.

The nurses said I did just fine last night but as soon as I woke up and saw my parents I started crying and was very agitated. Mommy put me on her lap and rocked me. After a dose of Tylenol with codeine and Prilosec I took a nap. When I woke up a little later I was a whole new girl - smiling at my parents and acting much more like myself. While we waited for Dr James to come by to sign my discharge papers, they took an xray of my chest to check out my trach size. Then, my Daddy opened my presents from the hospital. One was an Eyore who sings the other was a Little People farm. I wasn't too interested in them just yet, but Mommy is sure I will play with them soon.

Dr James stopped by to check on me and said I was doing great. They didn't get the right xray so on my way out the door she wants my parents to bring me by the xray techs so they can get one more from the side. Then, they will give my parents a copy to send on to my ENT at Stanford. My parents had to wait a minute for my paperwork so they got me changed back into my street clothes and unhooked all my wires and I was ready to roll. A few signatures and a prescription and we were on the way down to xray - quite the caravan with my parents, me, my stroller, Grandma & Grandpa Mower, Jackson, Aunt Kristin and Jackson's stroller. The xray was quick and then the caravan headed to the cars. Mommy sat in the back of the car with Jackson and I in our car seats. Jackson fell asleep on the ride home, but I was starting to get fussy. I was happy to be in my crib, though, and rolled around for a few minutes before falling asleep.

Grandma and Grandpa Mower showed up soon after as well as the pizzas Aunt Kristin ordered. They had some lunch while I slept and then the agency needed to stop by to change my plan of care. When I woke up I was still a little groggy but it was time for presents and cake. I got so many fun toys and pretty dresses. One of my favorites, though, had to be Elmo. (My parents are loving it - thanks Uncle Jeff!) I wasn't sure what to make of a little red furry animal throwing itself on the floor and laughing. I think everyone else thought it was funnier then I did but Elmo is growing on me. Eventually, I scooted over to him and just knocked him down. Mommy can't wait to see Henry and Chili's reaction when they come home tomorrow from boarding!

After all the presents were opened it was time for my birthday cake. While the adults had the cupcakes, I got my own special Sleeping Beauty cake all to myself. Mommy lit the candle, everyone sang happy birthday and then Mommy blew the candle out for me. Then, the cake was all mine! Initially, I just put my fingers in the frosting but when Mommy gave me a taste I figured out what to do with it and it didn't take long before I had frosting all over me. The cast sure didn't stop me! The fun came to an end shortly when my parents started seeing pink frosting in my trach. I got all cleaned up and got to play with my toys for the rest of the afternoon.

I was such a special birthday girl that I got on the local news yesterday! You can see the clip above.

It took a while tonight to fall asleep since it is hard to move that cast around but my parents are just glad to have me home and doing so well. Thanks everyone for the presents and well wishes. If this is what birthdays are like then maybe I will have another one next year after all!

Peyton Nicole Smith

1 comment:

  1. Hey Peyton,
    Your looking so good honey! True to your nature you bounced back to our sweet little princess in record time.Most adults I know could not have gone thru what you went thru this week with so little fuss(me most definately included)!We're all so proud of you, and in awe of how strong your mommy and daddy are.
    We love all of you,
    Granpa and Granma Mower