Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Wednesday, June 11th, 2008



My parents have been anxiously awaiting today. It was time to go back to Palo Alto to check in with Dr Schendell. I was really fussy last night and not sleeping well so my parents were not looking forward to the drive. I was in a pretty good mood, though. When my Daddy turned up, "You're My Everything" by Michael Buble I started dancing in my car seat. There was a lot of traffic and half way there I needed a diaper change in a bad way so Daddy pulled off at the closest exit and then we were back on the road!

When we got to the office we only had to wait just a short amount of time in the waiting room. It was really busy and every seat was filled - kids running everywhere. A little boy was sitting next to me being held by his mommy and I showed off my new skill by waving bye-bye to him when he got up to leave.

We made it back to the exam room and Dr Schendell and his nurse arrived quickly. My parents had not turned the screws this morning since it was so early but figured the doctor would want to do it - so they had prepared ahead of time by giving me the Tylenol with codeine. Sure enough, Dr Schendell turned the screws while Mommy held me down. While I was recovering, Dr Schendell told my parents that I had so much growth already that there shouldn't be any reason to do a second jaw distraction at this age - I could probably wait a few years before needing it again. He said it was already in a good place and I still have several more days to go of turning the screws and getting even more length. My parents were very relieved. Mommy will come back with Lucille next week and they will snap the screws off - just leaving the distractors inside. Then, I get to spend the next 3-4 months recovering. After that, Dr Schendell will have me come back for another surgery - this time to remove the distractors and repair my cleft palate. Meanwhile, that leaves a big window of time to try to get my hand surgeries completed. Mommy is going to get in touch with Dr James at Shriner's to see if they can fit me in this summer. My parents are very happy to see my chin emerging - they think it is pretty cute.

Peyton Nicole Smith

1 comment:

  1. Your chin does look great, and happy to see that you're still enjoying your bouncer!

    Pretty soon Jackson will be in his exersaucer and running all over the house, once he's mobile, life will never be the same.

    Glad to hear that you're done with any more distractions for a while, you deserve some good news!!!

    Love you!

    Aunt Kristin

    ReplyDelete