Friday, July 18, 2008

Thursday, July 17th, 2008

What started out as a very frustrating day for us ended being so much better then we could have anticipated. My Daddy sent Dr Schendel a copy of my CT scan from UC Davis last Friday. The plan was to have them review ahead of my appointment today and hopefully if all looked good we could avoid having to go and save Mommy a full day off from work. As of last night, though, the office said they still didn't have the package. This morning they waited to talk to the mailroom but still could not find it. Mommy already had everything packed and ready to go, so Mommy, Lucille and I got on the road to Palo Alto.

I was a very good girl on the way down - playing quietly with Lucille and taking a small nap. We were 1/2 hour early so I spent a few minutes flirting with everyone before being called back. I got weighed in and Mommy was thrilled to see with clothes on I was up to 15 lbs 3 ozs. The higher calories see to be working! Mommy gave the xrays and CT scan to the nurse and a few minutes later Dr Schendel came in. He said everything looked great - no problems with the jaw or the distractors. He told Mommy my airway looked "huge". (Just what you want to hear when a small airway was the reason for the trach in the first place) In fact, the bone was healing so well that he said he could do the cleft palate surgery and distractor removal in about a month. Unfortunately, that is when my hand surgery is scheduled so we decided on a date of September 22.

The office staff came in and had Mommy sign the consent forms and get all the information they needed so we won't have to come back until the surgery. Although this means more planning for Mommy (boarding the dogs, trying to get in to Ronald McDonald House) it is one step closer to decannulation so it is worth it.

I will probably just be getting my cast off my right arm when I have my cleft palate surgery. Although it is only two days inpatient, for two weeks following the surgery I will have to wear "no-no's" (see the photo above) to keep me from putting my fingers, toys or pacifiers in my mouth so the palate can heal. Bummer! Mommy is hoping that with all the attention taken away from my mouth it might give me some time to focus on my crawling and walking skills.

Before long we were back in the car and I had a few short naps before we made it home. It was a good day!

Peyton Nicole Smith

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the "no-no's"! Your cousin could NOT survive without his fingers in his face or mouth, and goes crazy when he's pinned down, so I hope you get through the two weeks quickly and painlessly!

    Your mommy's right, that would be a perfect time to start practicing your crawling and walking skills!!! Can't wait to see you in a month sweet girl!

    Aunt Kristin