Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Monday, July 28th, 2008

Today I had an appointment with my feeding therapist, Karen. I tried really hard to stay awake but about 15 minutes before she arrived I fell asleep. That's okay, it gave Mommy and Karen time to discuss what I have been doing the last few weeks and develop a plan until our next visit on the 7th. Karen brought a Pigeon bottle to have me try out. The Pigeon nipple has a Y-cut tip and the plastic one-way valve prevents negative pressure. One side of the nipple is softer
than the other, so it works when I press my tongue against it. Mommy needs to aim the notch in the nipple at my nose to get it to work correctly. Soon enough, I woke up and spied Karen and my Mommy talking on the couch. I was all smiles when Mommy came to get me. Mommy put some juice in the bottle and let me try it out. I would open my mouth to put the bottle in, but wasn't quite sure what to do with it. Since I like to chew on my pacifier nipples I tried that out and got a mouthful of juice! It certainly seemed to Karen and my Mommy that I swallowed it without a problem. They kept a close eye on me to see if I had any respiratory problems. Although I had some increased secretions, they didn't look like juice so that was a good sign. Karen was happy to hear that I enjoy so many different kinds of foods in my feeder bag. She is going to send Mommy a feeding log to keep track of the different things I am taking orally so we can track how it is going.

After my visit with Karen and Mommy went back to work, Lucille gave me some frozen cantelope in my bag. I was very excited to suck on it - but man was it messy! When Mommy came out later I needed a good hand and face washing, a change of outfits and a good washing of my walker from all the sticky juice - but you should have seen the grin on my face!

Peyton Nicole Smith

1 comment:

  1. How exciting yummy juice ! Good job on drinking ! Keep up the good work cutie !

    ReplyDelete