Monday, July 14, 2008

Monday, July 14th, 2008

I had a very good day today, though. I had two good naps for Lucille and spent a lot of time playing. My parents are starting to run low on the smaller HME's I wear. It used to be I could get away with just one a day but now that I have a stronger cough and need less suctioning they get junky a lot faster - and I go through two or three a day. My parents decided to try out the larger HME's and those seem to work much better. Now that I am bigger, they don't look quite as funny on me as they did when I was much smaller.

Dr Scott, my pediatrician, emailed my Mommy to let her know that despite being told "no" several times and lots of time on the phone, she kept at it and she has been able to get me into the UC Davis MIND Institute for an evaluation.

Per their website: The M.I.N.D. Institute (Medical Investigation of Neurodevelopmental Disorders) is an international, multidisciplinary research organization, committed to excellence, collaboration and hope, striving to understand the causes and develop better treatments and ultimately cures for neurodevelopmental disorders. Standing shoulder to shoulder, families, scientists, physicians, educators, and administrators are working together to unlock the mysteries of the mind.

Since I am a NICU graduate and because their are so few cases of Nager's, the nurses in the NICU thought it would be a good idea if the MIND Institute checked me out. Although I am on track developmentally, it will be an opportunity for me to have some tests done to make sure everything is okay. Mommy certainly isn't looking to take me to more doctor's appointments then necessary, but I am a special baby and she wants to make sure I get all the help I can as early on as possible.

In the evening, my parents took me and my brothers on a walk in the neighborhood. Daddy pushed me in my Pooh ride-on toy and Mommy had my brothers. All went well until they got close to the house and Mommy saw a big dog that looked like he was off leash. So Daddy kept walking and Mommy decided to go another route. Then, as she was nearing the house again, she noticed the neighbors across the street had a BIG dog off leash running around. Once my brothers spotted the dog they went crazy barking and whining. Daddy had been waiting on the lawn for Mommy to arrive so he carried me over and took Chili while Mommy took Henry. The dog started to run across the street towards us and Daddy started hollering a little to get the owner's attention. Luckily, the dog ran back to his house before making it to us. We all made it home safe and sound!

Peyton Nicole Smith

1 comment:

  1. Your HME looks great, it's not too big, tell your mom not to worry.

    You will NEVER guess how big your cousin Jackson is?! Close to a whopping 10 lbs! He's growing quickly, we need to come visit you soon before he changes even more, as mommy won't recognize him if he keeps up this growing spurt (other than all the pics I send to her daily!).

    Give mom a big hug for me, and we will see you SOON baby girl! Only 5 weeks to go until your first birthday, and you can have your first birthday cake! I vote for chocolate ice cream cake, I'm hoping your mommy lets me order it!

    Aunt Kristin