Friday, November 30, 2007

Friday, November 30th, 2007

Today I went into my pediatrician for my weight check. When I got my Synagis shot last week I was 9 lbs 1 oz. This was in the midst of all of my spitting up/vomiting problems. Today I weighed in at 9 lbs 4 ozs which is right on track for the 3rd percentile for weight. I have been in the third percentile from the beginning so my doctor was very happy.

Mommy had lots of questions for the doctor about my spitting up. Normally, spitting up once a day or once a week wouldn't be a cause for concern. Due to my trach, though, it can create other issues. Since I have been doing so well over the last few days, my doctor doesn't want to put me on a medication for acid reflux - although I have all the classic signs. Instead, she said just switching to formula may help now because it is a little heavier then breast milk. If Mommy wants to experiment she can try adding some rice cereal to my bottles or starting me on formula that already includes some extra starch that is made for babies who spit up all the time. Mommy is going to give me a week on just the formula to see what happens since I have not been spitting up much lately then decide if she wants to try out some other options.

My Mommy asked about my ears since I like to pull on my left ear so much. That is the ear where the canal is closed off. The pediatrician said that ear pulling is not necessarily a sign of an ear infection but she is kind of concerned how she would ever diagnose an ear infection in that ear since the canal is closed off. She wants Mommy to follow up with the audiologist to ask that question. She also suggested giving me Tylenol before we get on the plane so if I do have any problems with my ears it might help with the pain.

When I got weighed Mommy had to strip me down until I was naked. It took a few minutes for the scale to become available so I had some time to be nude and I loved it! I kicked my legs and smiled big smiles for Mommy and the nurses. Luckily, I didn't get so excited I peed (my brother Chili does that) so Mommy thinks I should love getting in the bath once she gets the okay from the pediatric surgeon that my button site is healed. All in all, it was a good day at the pediatrician's office - no shots!

Next week will be really busy for me. I have a follow up appointment on Monday with the pediatric surgeon to look at my g tube. On Wednesday I have a four hour appointment with the craniofacal panel to discuss my plan of care. On Thursday, I have my audiology appointment to have my hearing tested. That appointment could take all day if I don't fall asleep and stay asleep long enough! Mommy is a little stressed at the thought of all of those appointments in one week but I will try to be a good girl for her and not spit up or cry too much.

Peyton Nicole Smith


  1. Sis,

    No worries! Although three appointments in one week, and a four hour appointment at that, will be a lot of work, it's amazing that you guys are all as "self sufficient" as you are. Peyton could be in weekly for appointments, but she is progressing so well, that soon even the cranio facial appointments will be a faint memory, as she will be moving on!!! You have always been a mother to me, Jay, and Shawn, and I know that helped prepare you for the AMAZING mother you are today!


  2. Sounds very busy and I hope all the projects at work are not making it all the worse. You are very amazing to keep it all together. Let me know if I can help at work. Rest up today!