Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Monday, December 7th, 2009

Look how far I have come! When I got my Barney doll on my birthday I was terrified of it and now he is a favorite friend!

Tonight Mommy and I ran to the store to get some groceries. By the time we have walked up and down all the aisles I am itching to get out of the cart. So while we check out Mommy and I have an understanding - I can get out of the cart as long as I stay right next to her in the checkout line. I was doing really well standing next to Mommy and then wanted to stand on her feet and have her walk me around. A nice man in line behind us kept smiling and waving at me and then when I signed "cracker" he walked up to Mommy and I and started talking. He wanted to know how old I was and then commented how tiny I was for my age. He said he has a four year old granddaughter who is just now wearing size 2T. Then he hesitantly asked Mommy if I had microcephaly. (Microcephaly is a neurological disorder in which the circumference of the head is significantly smaller than average for the person's age and sex.) Mommy quickly explained that I don't have microcephaly but a different type of syndrome and that is part of why I am so small. He said his granddaughter doesn't speak but is very sharp and picks up everything. Mommy let him know that although I sign most of the time that I am definately starting to use my voice much more often. By then, Mommy's groceries were done being rung up and it was time to head to the car. Although Mommy knows people must wonder about my trach and hearing aids it's pretty rare that anyone ever asks Mommy anything directly about why I have them. Mommy thought it was great that because the man had a grandchild with a similar condition that he was willing to ask questions. I just like all the attention!

Peyton Nicole Smith

1 comment:

  1. You deserve all the attention sweet girl!

    Glad to see you are loving your Barney, even though I still think he's a bit creepy... Jackson seems to agree with me for the time being.

    ReplyDelete