Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Wednesday, August 26th, 2009





Mommy reintroduced my Shikani French speaking valve to me today. I have a long and not very positive experience with speaking valves. My parents tried for about a year to get me to use the Passey Muir valve. Although they modified it with holes and I would use it a little, I never really liked it. Then it took them a while to order a special speaking valve - the Shikani French. After all the fanfare of waiting for it, I tolerated it a little better but still wasn't interested. In the last few months, though, I have started a lot more vocalizing either by covering my trach or just from the air leak around my trach. Monday while waiting for the otologist Mommy had to shush me because I was so loud with my vocalization. Since I am becoming quite the talker Mommy decided to pull out the Shikani French again and give it another go. Man on man she wasn't prepared for how much I had to say and how loud I was!
You can see a few of the videos above. Not only is my volume increased but with the valve on I was almost constantly vocalizing and my vowels like "o" are much more distinct. Mommy was thrilled. I even was drinking with it on and coughing without freaking out. The only problem? With it on I become booger girl - initially it started with bubbles coming out of my mouth but then it moved up to my nose and I had serious boogers. Mommy thinks most of it was from when I was drinking and didn't quite know what to do with all the secretions. She is hoping that with practice all of this will improve - otherwise the kids at preschool will remember me not as trach girl but as booger girl!

Peyton Nicole Smith

2 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY PEYTON!!
    How hard is it to believe that you are 2 years old today? These
    last two years have seen to fly by, and you've grown from a precious baby,to an even more precious little girl.
    We all love how mommy has allowed us to share on a daily basis your life,and to be able to watch you grow.Your one lucky little girl to have such a wonderful mommy and daddy,but you know that already.
    We loved hearing you with your speaking valve on.You and Jackson
    will be great friends over the next few days,and making alot of noise together!
    Have a fantastic birthday Peyton!
    Hugs and kisses,
    Granpa and Granma Mower

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the video. That was helpful. And she sounds great! I think the snot is from finally getting airflow through the nose.

    ReplyDelete