Friday, August 21, 2009

Friday, August 21st, 2009

In prep for my appointment on Monday with Otology and for my jaw surgery in October - it was time for an updated CT scan. I am not to the age yet that I can do it awake so because it involves anesthesia it takes a little planning. I wasn't allowed any formula today but Mommy soon discovered that apple flavored Pedialite was a good stand in for my regular apple juice (that had too many floaties to be considered a clear fluid).

We had to be at the hospital by 1:30 so needless to say I did not get my nap in today. You would have thought I would have been grumpy but you'd have been wrong. I was crazy happy - running around the waiting room, jumping up and down, yelling at myself in the mirror. Luckily, we were the only ones in the room!

I was the last patient of the day and they were running about an hour late but eventually we got to head back to the CT room. Everyone oohd and aahd over my cute shoes but as soon as I saw the CT table the good mood was over. Finally, Mommy just had to hold me down so the tube with the anesthesia could be attached to my trach and within just a few seconds of getting the gas I was out. About 15 minutes later they had Mommy follow us as I got wheeled down to the recovery room. It wasn't long before I started waking up but man was I grumpy! Mommy held me right away but I didn't want anyone even looking at me. One of the nurses got a Wiggles video and the only time I stopped crying was when a preview came on for Barney. The nurses really hoped I would drink some juice but despite being starved I wasn't taking anything from them (well, except for the stuffed teddy bear they gave me). As soon as I was cleared to go my mood improved and by the time I got home and got some of my own apple juice I was back to normal. After a quick tube feeding and a bath it was off to bed by 7 pm because I was exhausted!

Peyton Nicole Smith

1 comment:

  1. Hi Peyton,
    I'm sure that as nice as everyone is that works with you,it must still be very scary and upsetting when you remember places and experiences.Your definately handling situations better than I would,or any other adults I know!
    I love your pretty pink shoes also.
    I hope you get to go to the park this weekend.
    All our love,
    Granpa and Granma Mower

    ReplyDelete