Monday, July 6, 2009

Monday, July 6th, 2009




It's gone by pretty fast, but it was definately time to remove the cast - there is a distinct smell coming from the cast that my parents are ready to be rid of. As soon as we walked into the cast room I had flashbacks and started to whine and eventually cry - long before anyone even touched me. It only took a few minutes to get the cast and the gauze off but I was crying huge tears the whole time and Mommy was trying her best to hold me down and keep me from throwing my arm around while the nurse was cutting. After all that work on the finger Mommy wanted to make sure we hung on to it for awhile. After a moment to catch my breath it was on to the next trauma of the day - the post op xray. Despite Mommy continuing to assure me nothing was going to hurt I was having none of it and the tears were flowing. Then it was back to the casting room to have Dr James check out her handiwork and we were finally on our way home.
The hand needed a good cleaning but I didn't want anyone touching it but me. Mommy promised me a nice long bath tonight and she delivered. I was so excited that I got into the bath with my toys long before it was time. Shortly after dinner Mommy got everything together and while I enjoyed splashing in the water for the first time in six weeks, Mommy tried to sneak in some cleaning of my hand and arm. I grew wise to her tricks, though, and Mommy wasn't able to clean it perfectly but it will have to do for now. Daddy will have to cut my fingernails while I am sleeping tonight. I will be wearing a split for the next few weeks while I am sleeping and for periods during the day. At this point I am just happy to have another hand for signing what I want to my parents!

Peyton Nicole Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment