Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Monday, November 10th, 2008

Mommy was sad to learn that although I slept a little better last night, when Marianne went to disconnect my feeding this morning, I vomited up a little of my feeding. When I woke up for Mommy a little after six, I just wanted to lay in her arms and eventually went back to sleep because I was so tired. After my 9:30 feeding, I started coughing while Mommy had come out to check on me and vomited up my entire feeding. Mommy called my pediatrician to see if there was anything else that could be done to help the coughing and increase my oxygen levels and decrease my heart rate.

Luckily, Dr Emge called back quickly and got to work. She had Mommy pick up some Benadryl for me to help with some of the symptoms - sneezing, runny nose, etc. She also called in prescriptions for a steroid to help reduce the inflammation in my airway and Xopenex to help open my airway so I could breathe easier. Dr Emge worked with a DME supplier to have a nebulizer delivered so my parents could start giving me breathing treatments with the medications. She also recommended that until I am past this URI, that I go back to continous feedings during the day so when I did cough there wasn't as much in my tummy to throw up - less mess and less likely to dehydrate so quickly.

Mommy started the continous feeds and Benadryl right away and that seemed to prevent any more vomiting and reduce the coughing. Daddy picked up the medications in the evening and Apria dropped off the nebulizer at 9 pm. I had already been asleep for about an hour but was having trouble keeping my oxygen sats above 90, so my parents went ahead and woke me up to give me my breathing treatments. First up was the steroid followed up with the Xopenex a 1/2 hour later. Within minutes of the Xopenex I was getting very smiley and then by the time Marianne showed up I was a crazy girl! I couldn't stop moving - I was all over my crib - sitting up, standing up shaking the blinds, throwing myself around. It was all very strange and kind of funny. I am going to give Marianne a run for her money tonight!

Peyton Nicole Smith

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the Benadryl and Xopenex worked so well, and hope you're on the road to recovery sweet girl. Love and miss you, and am praying that you're well enough by next weekend for mommy to spend a few days in Salt Lake.

    LOVE your Minnie Mouse pj's!!!

    Aunt Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been reading but haven't commented for awhile. Hope you are on the mend and feel better so so soon !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Miss Peyton,
    We're so sorry to hear your not doing a whole lot better by this point!Even when your not your perkiess(?)your absolutely adoreable in your pictures!I sure see alot of your mommy in you as you are getting older.I hope today is better for you(your mommy sounded tired and worried when we spoke last night.
    All our love,
    Granpa and Granma Mower

    ReplyDelete