Thursday, September 24, 2009

Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009


After a 2 1/2 hour drive into Palo Alto today and an hour in the waiting area we finally got into a room for my preop appointment for surgery next month with Dr Schendel. First we had to get through several student doctors (One had a straight face when asking "has Peyton ever had any other surgeries?" as if the obvious hole in my neck wouldn't have answered the question) before he came in and reviewed the CT scan I had done at UC Davis back in August. Drum roll please..... I will be having a standard jaw distraction for length on October 6th. In addition, Dr Schendel will attempt to "loosen" my left TM joint and take skin and fat from my groin to help fix my right TM joint. While I am under anesthesia for all of that, he is going to excise the scar from the previous jaw distraction that is on my left cheek and do a scope of my airway to see how things look there. We can plan on 3-4 days in the hospital and then the fun of pin turning begins again! Mommy stressed to Dr Schendel the serious issues with pain managment last time around and he assured her that I can get stronger meds now that I am bigger. After I am all healed from the surgery then he'll take another look at the width of my mouth opening to decide if he wants to do further surgery on my joints. So now it's just a waiting game and trying to keep me healthy for surgery.
Peyton Nicole Smith

1 comment:

  1. LOVE your pigtails and your brown shirt, you look so cute in that color (and all colors, of course!).

    Glad to hear that the pain management issue shouldn't be a concern this time around, but it sounds like the staying healthy part may be the problem...

    Hope you are feeling back up to your old tricks in no time sweet girl!

    Love you MUCH!

    Aunt Kristin

    ReplyDelete