Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sunday, September 27th, 2009


All looks normal in this picture right? Unless you look really closely you may not notice that my top and bottom do not match - a sure sign that something was not quite what it should be. Sure enough, when Mommy came walking out this morning she could hear me coughing and coughing and coughing. She knew it was going to be a long day. Sure enough, I had spent all night coughing and was starting to run a fever - upper respiratory infection here I come!
So it went pretty much like it always does, first comes the cough, then comes the fever, then my heart rate increases and oxygen saturation decreases and then the vomiting begins. Yep, that's pretty much what happened this time too! By dinner time although the coughing had mostly subsided I was still running a fever with all the Tylenol I could take and I was working hard to breathe. My parents had tried to avoid the ER but finally decided they didn't want to take any more chances and off to UCD we went.
We didn't have to wait long to get into a room - a trach baby with flu symptoms sends up lots of red flags! We quickly got a chest xray and then the waiting began. The docs were thinking pneumonia and I would need to be admitted but it took about 6 hours to finally end up in a room. Meanwhile, I dozed off and on in Mommy's lap. Mid-way through the marathon, they got some blood from me but before they could hook the up the IV it was blown. Rather then continue to stick me, they decided to wait until I got up into a room to have someone else try to find a good vein. Stay tuned....
Peyton Nicole Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment