Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Monday, July 4th, 2011









4th of July dawned bright and early in our household as I was awake by 5:30 am!  That's okay because we had plans to head up to Brighton Ski Resort for their annual pancake breakfast and parade.  With it heating up in the valley it was nice to head up where it was much cooler - and there was still a little snow on the ground! 

Jackson, me, Mommy, Aunt Kristin and Uncle Lonnie met Grandma and Grandpa Mower for the pancake breakfast at 8 am.  Apparently veterans of this event realize that 8 am is way too early and wait until closer to 10 am to eat their breakfast.  Because we had several hours before the parade would start, Jackson, Uncle Lonnie, Mommy and I went on a hike around the lake.  We spotted elk tracks and saw a few chipmunks.  Uncle Lonnie scared me when he said he saw a snake in the water and I made Mommy carry me the rest of the way.  As the time drew close for the parade, we set up our chairs along the route and threw pop it's and Uncle Lonnie fired a cap gun.  (Neither Jackson or I liked that at all). 

I have never been to a parade and was super happy when the folks in the parade threw candy at us as they drove by.  It was so much fun to wave at everyone and a local photographer took some photos of us (you can see the photos here: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=2676ebdd0736b50d&sc=photos&Bsrc=Photomail&Bpub=SDX.Photos&id=2676EBDD0736B50D%21436&sff=1)

There was a World War II veteran in the parade and that got Mommy, Grandpa and Grandma to crying.  I wasn't sure what all the fuss was about but I blew him kisses as he drove by.  As the parade came to an end, the only way out was to drive on the parade route and several people threw candy into the open windows of the car - cool!  Jackson and I have decided that we are going to get lots of candy next year and be in the parade!

After a long nap, Daddy and Mommy and I went out to eat and as it got dark we camped out at the Sandy Ampitheater to watch the fireworks going off across the valley.  Since the laws changed to allow aerials it was quite the show since everyone seemed to have bought them this year!  I was interested for about five minutes and then I just wanted to play with Daddy's binoculars.  There was a small miscommunication about the location so I never met up with Jackson, Uncle Lonnie, Aunt Kristin and Grandma and Grandpa as planned but we'll make sure to work it out for next year.

I was home around 10:45 but it took me until after midnight to fall asleep - what a day!

Peyton Nicole Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment