Sunday, May 20, 2012

Wednesday, March 14th, 2012

When I woke up this morning at Grandma Glenda's, I headed to the potty first thing.  After being fed slowly all night long talk about needing to pee!  I had been asleep on the couch after Daddy had dropped me off this morning and it wasn't until I was on the potty that Grandma noticed that I was wearing the cap on my trach. Since she knew she hadn't put it on, she asked me if I had put it on.  When I shook my head "no", it occurred to Grandma that something pretty important had happened.  After checking with my parents it became clear that on accident I had fallen asleep overnight with my cap on!  Now this is a little more scary because since Christmas time I have been trading off sleeping with one of my parents.  And since I haven't been in my bedroom with my machines that means I wasn't hooked up to a pulse oximeter while sleeping with my cap.  So on accident my parents tested a theory that they have had for quite some time - I can tolerate being capped while sleeping which is a pretty good sign that I could be decannulated at some point in the future.  Even with this unexpected good news it doesn't mean I am going to be a mouth breather any time soon since I still have many surgeries in my future and my last laryngoscopy still showed a very small airway.  But it is still a tiny, dim light at the end of the tunnel!

Peyton Nicole Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment