Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012

Before Dr. Morales can decide which surgery to do next - my joints or another jaw distraction - he needed an updated CT scan.  After rescheduling it multiple times due to my ongoing colds last month, the day finally arrived.  Due to my complete freak outs for xrays, Mommy planned another sedated CT.  This always requires a lot more planning because of the anesthesia.  When Mommy broke the news this morning that I needed to go to the hospital I was pretty sad and on the way there I was very quiet as I contemplated what was to come.  After checking in, they took me back to the pre sedation area where a child life representative was waiting to entertain me.  She brought some toys to keep me occupied but she also brought something else with her I hadn't seen before.  It was a book of photos taken of a little boy my age throughout the process of getting the CT scan.  While we waited for the Versed, Mommy and I looked through the photos and talked about what would happen.  I was pretty relaxed and Mommy thought maybe I wouldn't need the anesthesia after all.  The nurse went ahead and gave me the Versed anyway since it would just relax me further and while we waited for it to take effect, I "practiced" laying on the bed like I would need to during the procedure.  Thirty minutes later, I wasn't really feeling the Versed yet but Mommy was feeling positive that I would be able to do it with out the anesthesia.  Mommy carried me down the hall and was able to stay right next to me the whole time.  I could see a beautiful cloudy sky mural above me as well as the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on the TV and just as we had practiced, I held really still and "froze" like Yo Gabba Gabba.   Within just a few minutes it was all over and Mommy snapped the picture above before I got to go pick out some treasures from the treasure box.  I told Mommy I was so happy that it was all over!

Peyton Nicole Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment