Saturday, June 26, 2010

Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010

How do you solve a problem like stalking? OK so here's the background. Next door live four little girls ranging in age from 4-11. They were super excited to have me move in and came right over the very first day to see if I could play. Because I am not quite 3, Mommy thought the thrill would quickly wear off but almost every day since the move in, the two older girls (8 and 11) keep coming by to ask me to play. They have taken to hitting Mommy up as she is pulling in the drive way after coming home from work. Last night the people from the blinds company were coming so Mommy told them no so tonight they were at the house at 5:30 on the dot (Mommy said yesterday she thought that is when we would be home). Initially, Mommy ignored the door but when we went downstairs a few minutes later they were back and due to the no-blind situation could tell we were home so Mommy gave in and answered the door.

Now before you think Mommy is really mean for trying to hide - consider this. If I was to play at their house, Mommy would have to go with me for safety reasons because of the trach. Our back yard is a weed pile so playing outside where it is fenced it is not possible. Mommy doesn't trust me to play out in the front yard so that leaves one other option - the girls coming over to play at our house. After a long day at work, Mommy is rushing around to get laundry done and dinner on the table so she is not really prepared to entertain a bunch of kids. But like I said, she gave in and answered the door since she knew I was happy to have them over. Mommy learned some interesting tidbits from the girls which could explain the stalking - they aren't allowed to watch TV and their dad actually is encouraging to come over to see if I can play. Super!

So Mommy helped facilitate the play date with the three of us (with my limited ability to be understood, Mommy needs to translate) for about an hour and then sent the girls on home. Despite not getting the laundry done, she couldn't help but smile at the sight of me taking the hands of the girls to walk up and down the stairs. In a world where many people can't overlook my differences, these girls accept me just how I am.

Peyton Nicole Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment