Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tuesday, June 15th, 2010

Despite their best efforts, I have been waking up around 3 am every morning. By the time Mommy hears me on the monitor I have been crying for awhile and am pretty wound up. Once Mommy gets in my bed with me it takes me a long time to fall back to sleep - and Mommy is virtually a zombie at this point due to lack of sleep. So tonight, my parents took a step back and put my little toddler bed back in their room so they can keep me close at night. They are hoping that when I do wake up if I can see them in bed right next to me that I will go back to sleep - let's all cross our fingers! As a sign that this is a temporary solution, my parents are leaving my twin bed all set up in my bedroom when I am ready to try transitioning again.

Tonight while my parents were eating dinner, we all watched Seconds From Disaster together. Now Mommy hates watching war movies because she thinks there is enough terrible stuff going on in the world that when she does watch movies and tv she wants to see something more cheerful. For those who haven't seen it, the title is pretty clear - Seconds From Disaster is not a happy show but Mommy is fascinated. The show walks through the moments leading up to disasters and what caused them - as it is normally a series of different events that leads to the disaster. The show my parents watched tonight was on the Oklahoma City bombing. I sat in my little car in the family room and for the most part wasn't paying much attention to the TV. Then it showed a simulation of the actual bombing and I said very clearly, "Oh no - uh oh!" It stopped my parents in their tracks and Mommy asked the question, "How much do you think Peyton understands of what she just saw?" My parents consider me one smart cookie and it definately got them wondering - how much of what I see every day am I taking in? Clearly as demonstrated by my signing ability I take in a lot - often picking things up the first time. My parents are certainly going to be a little more aware of what they are watching when I am around!

Peyton Nicole Smith

2 comments:

  1. Of course you understand everything, there has never been a doubt! Now mommy and daddy will need to sensor their language a bit more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog. Reading it and your visitors comments convinced me to give them a try. oticon hearing aids Needham MA

    ReplyDelete